We’ve slipped into a new year, and I hope you’re looking forward to it as much as I am, with writing goals in mind.
But before we put away another year, here’s a look at my top 5 posts in 2013:
- Feeling Rejected? 15 famous authors who were turned down by publishers. If you want to be a professional writer, then prepare for rejection … and join the club.
- Know Your Writing Terms: Subplot. Drive. Deepen. Prove. Reveal. Meet the subplot, your key to a rich and satisfying story.
- Do it yourself? 10 tips for beginners from top self-publishing sites. Self-publishing has risen out of amateur status, bringing the new writer more options than ever before. (I’m proud to say that this article was published in a magazine for self-publishers.)
- SmartEdit: Fine-tune your writing with this new editing software. SmartEdit is a new editing tool for writers that doesn’t just help you polish your work. It’ll help you become a better writer. (This review is included on the software designers website.)
- Why Star Wars is a beloved story and what fiction writers can learn from it. The Star Wars saga is loved by millions and it employs the basics of “the hero’s journey.”
That’s a nice range of topics. I especially love that the Star Wars post made the top 5. Being the Star Wars nerd that I am, I had a lot of fun with that one.
And my most popular post of all time? You can read Ten questions I’ll be asking a published author here.
I’m grateful to author Nick Thacker of LiveHacked.com for including this blog on his Power 100 list of Best Blogs for the Modern Writer. What an honor.
The writing life is exciting, isn’t it? I’ll have more to share with you throughout 2014, and feel free to send me a list of topics you’d like to see covered. Here’s my contact form.
Happy New Year!